In developing the new TLDs to meet the needs of non-governmental organisations (NGOs,) over the course of the last few years, Public Interest Registry has consulted widely – both geographically and by sector – with members of the NGO sector. For the purpose of .ngo|.ong validation, Public Interest Registry uses seven distinct characteristics to define an NGO or ONG:
- Focused on acting in the public interest. Whether in support of education or health, the environment or human rights, members of the .ngo|.ong community work for the good of humankind and/or the preservation of the planet and do not promote discrimination or bigotry.
- Non-profit making/non-profit-focused entities. While many NGOs engage in commercial activities or generate revenue in support of their missions, members of the .ngo|.ong community do not recognize profits or retain earnings.
- Limited government influence. Recognizing that many NGOs have important interactions with government, not least for reasons of funding (which may include receipt of some government funding in support of their programs), members of the .ngo|.ong community decide their own policies, direct their own activities and are independent of direct government or political control.
- Independent actors. Members of the .ngo|.ong community should not be political parties nor should be a part of any government. Participation in the work of an .ngo|.ong is voluntary.
- Active Organisations. Members of the .ngo|.ong community are actively pursuing their missions on a regular basis.
- Structured. Members of the .ngo|.ong community, whether large or small, operate in a structured manner (e.g., under bylaws, codes of conduct, organisational standards, or other governance structures.)
- Lawful. Members of the .ngo|.ong community act with integrity within the bounds of law.
NGOs participating as members in the .ngo|.ong community must certify that they adhere to the above Eligibility Requirements.
What is an NGO? An ONG?
NGO stands for non-governmental organisation. NGOs are organisations whose mission and activities are broadly centered on improving the human condition and, are non-governmental, non-profit and non-criminal. ONG is the abbreviated translation for non-governmental organisation in romance languages.